Sunday, April 14, 2013

I Like it Sweet & Spicy


I am usually a creature of habit when it comes to frying chicken.  It's either Buttermilk Fried Chicken or Boneless Buffalo Wings.  But I cook three meals a week for another family, and, quite frankly, I was starting to run out of ideas.  So I went in the kitchen the other day to check out the situation.  I found chicken, brown sugar, and chipotle peppers.

Anytime I ask my husband what he wants for dinner, he says fried chicken.  That popped into my head when I saw the chicken.  So I thought to myself, what the heck, let's get crazy up in here!  Chicken tenders glazed in a brown sugar and chipotle sauce.  My goodness gracious, what a genius thought that was.  This combination, paired with a hint of lime, was a delight on the tastebuds.  My husband ate the majority of these before the rest of dinner was ready.  I did manage to snatch a couple before he ate them all.

So, if you're looking for a sweet and spicy, slightly tangy new way to cook chicken, this is it.

BROWN SUGAR & CHIPOTLE GLAZED CHICKEN TENDERS
FOR THE SAUCE:
1 T onion powder
1 C brown sugar
2 chipotles in adobo, chopped
1 T dijon mustard
Salt & pepper to taste
3/4 C ketchup
1 T garlic powder
3 T lime juice
2 C water

FOR THE CHICKEN:
1 lb chicken tenders
2-3 C flour
3 T cajun seasoning, divided (I like Emeril's homemade Creole Seasoning recipe)
Buttermilk, to cover the chicken
Peanut oil, for frying

Put the chicken tenders in a 9 x 13 casserole pan.  Cover them with buttermilk and sprinlke 2 T cajun seasoning over the tenders.  Mix to combine.  Marinate for at least one hour.

For the sauce, combine the sauce ingredients in a pot.  Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium low.  Simmer about 45 minutes or until thickened and reduced.  Remove from heat.

Mix the flour and 1 T cajun seasoning together.  Dredge the chicken in the flour mixture, back into the buttermilk, and back into the flour. When all of the chicken is dredged, lay it on a sheet pan and cover it with plastic wrap.  Let it sit about 30 minutes so that the coating forms a paste.

Preheat the peanut oil to 350 degrees.  Fry the chicken tenders about 5-7 minutes or until browned and cooked through, then drain on paper towels.  When all the tenders are cooked, pour the sauce over them and stir to coat.

8 comments:

  1. Can you use vegitable oil?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sure can use vegetable oil. I use peanut oil because I like the flavor it gives, but vegetable oil will work just as well. Thank you for asking!

      Delete
  2. Is there a gluten-free version for this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. I am not all that familiar with gluten-free products. However, occasionally the bakery I work at will use a gluten-free flour substitute for cakes. I haven't used it myself, so I'm not sure of what the outcome will be. However, if you try it, please let me know. I'm sure I have readers wondering the same thing. Thank you for the question!

      Delete
  3. Is there a way to make this without frying?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could skip the soaking in buttermilk and the breading altogether. I would cook the chicken in some butter or olive oil or even bake it and then coat it with the sauce. Enjoy!

      Delete
  4. This looks like a great idea for the game today, thank you.

    ReplyDelete