Monday, February 25, 2013

Like I Said, I Really Love Enchiladas

Chicken Fajita Enchiladas


I really do love them.  My most favorite enchilada is Cheese Enchiladas with Robb Walsh's Chili Gravy.  So delicious.  But I really will eat any kind, chicken, beef, seafood, you name it.  My daughter likes veggie enchiladas the best.  Anytime I make enchiladas, the whole pan dissapears.

I love fajitas, too.  Same thing, beef, chicken, shrimp fajitas.  So why not make an enchilada with fajita meat?  I sure did.  You get the best of both worlds, something wrapped in a tortilla, grilled meat, and a luscious sauce topped with cheese, Chicken Fajita Enchiladas.  Darn tasty.

Fajitas usually come with a duo of grilled onions and bell peppers.  I prefer something hotter, though.  The other day, while grocery shopping, I was looking at the fresh peppers and saw a beautiful display of red Fresno peppers.  I've never eaten a Fresno pepper (that I know of), so I thought, what the heck, I'll buy some.  After I got home, I did a little research on these pretty little peppers.  They're similar to a Jalapeno and a Serrano.  Apparently, the green version of Fresnos are milder than the red version.  But the taste of them, to me, is more in line with a Serrano pepper, which has heat plus a bell pepper kind of taste.  So, in essence, the Jalapeno and the Serrano got married and had a baby Fresno.  And it was tasty in my enchiladas.  

As far as the marinade I used for the chicken, I used a combination of a store-bought packet of fajita marinade mix and a packet of McCormick's Chipotle Pepper Marinade.  If you can't find that, just chop up one chipotle in adobo and add in a little of the sauce from the can and add in a splash of lime juice.  

Are you hungry now?

CHICKEN FAJITA ENCHILADAS
FOR THE CHICKEN:
1 lb chicken breasts
1 packet fajita marinade mix
1 packet McCormick's Chipotle Pepper Marinade (or 1 chopped chipotle in adobo with a little of the sauce)
1 T garlic powder
1 T cumin
1 T onion powder
4 cloves of garlic, peeled and smashed
1 T lime juice
1/4 C olive oil
Water

FOR THE ENCHILADAS:
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 Fresno peppers, seeds removed and chopped (or whatever peppers you like)
1/4 C cilantro, chopped
One 4-ounce can green chilies
1 C sour cream
2-3 C chicken stock
1/4 C flour
2 T bacon grease
Olive oil
1 T cumin
Salt and pepper to taste

Corn tortillas (about 20)
Shredded cheese (as much or as little as you like, any flavor.  I used pepper Jack)

Place the chicken breasts in a zipper bag.  Put in all the marinade ingredients and enough water to cover the chicken.  Seal the bag up and move the bag around to mix it all together.  Put it in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours.  Overnight is best.

When your chicken is done marinating, fire up the grill and cook the chicken until done (cooking times will vary depending on how big your chicken breasts are).  You can also cook the chicken breasts in the oven at 350 for about 12-16 minutes per side.  Let them rest about 10 minutes before slicing them.  Slice them just like they are sliced at a restaurant.

Melt the bacon grease in a skillet over medium high heat.  Drizzle in a little olive oil.  Cook the onions and Fresno peppers until tender.  Add in the green chilies.  Sprinkle the flour over the top and stir.  Pour in 2 cups of the chicken stock and stir and cook until it starts getting bubbly.  Add in the garlic and sour cream and cumin.  Taste it now to adjust for salt and pepper.  Put your sliced chicken into the sauce.  If the sauce doesn't cover the chicken, add in the extra cup of chicken stock and cook a couple more minutes until it thickens back up.  Remove from heat and stir in the cilantro.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Wrap the tortillas in a damp towel and microwave one minute.  Turn the tortillas in the middle to the outside, rewrap, and heat one more minute.

To assemble the enchiladas, ladle some sauce into a 9 x 13 casserole pan. Put 1-2 tablespoons of the chicken and sauce into a tortilla and sprinkle in some cheese.  Roll it up and place it in the casserole pan.  Repeat with remaining tortillas.  Pour the rest of the sauce over the top and top with shredded cheese of choice.  Bake about 20-25 minutes, or until heated through and cheese is lightly browned.

2 comments:

  1. what are all the T's are they teaspoons or tablespoons?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for asking! I use a capital T for tablespoon, and I always spell teaspoon out. Hope you enjoy it!

      Delete