Thursday, February 28, 2013

Indulgence



People at work ask me all the time, "How do you stay thin when you eat like you do?"  I must preface this post with the fact that I'm not supermodel skinny.  I'm really just an average size.  I promise.  And, yes, I do prefer the more indulgent side of food.  Sure, I do love veggies and salads and eat those things a lot too.  But, throw some indulgent creamy cheesy or bacony thing my way, and I'm going to eat it.

The only explanations I can come up for my ability to stay average size is twofold.  First, that I'm an extremely busy person.  I work a full-time job at a restaurant/bakery six days a week.  I blog as much as I can.  I have a husband and two kids.  I even have a personal chef gig where I cook three meals a week for another family.  I'm busy.  I don't walk.  I run.  When my husband goes to a store with me, he tells me before we get out of the truck, "I don't want to sprint in here.  I want to walk."  It's really difficult for me to walk slow.  Secondly, I don't usually sit down and eat full meals.  I nibble on things all day at work.  And, when I cook dinner, I'm usually full from tasting components of dinner to make sure it's right and I can't sit down and eat a plate full.  Occasionally, when the ladies I work with make breakfast tacos, I will eat an entire taco, especially if it has bacon, potatoes, eggs and cheese.  But, most of the time, I just nibble.  

So last night I wanted to make my Arancini con Polpette (aka Rice Bombs under the Appetizer tab) for dinner, but I wanted something to go with it...pasta.  So I created this luxurious Six-Cheese Penne Pasta recipe.  This involves making something called a bechamel sauce which is a fancy name for a gravy.  You will probably have a heart attack when you see how much heavy cream I used, but it was so worth it and so delicious. I'm sure you can substitute some or all of the cream with skim milk.  You may need to increase the flour to make sure your sauce is thick enough.

Either way, you've been really good today.  You deserve an indulgent treat.  Go ahead, spoil yourself.

SIX-CHEESE PENNE PASTA
1 lb penne pasta
1/2 C butter
1/2 C flour
1 quart heavy cream (I know, it's ridiculous)
One 8-ounce bag of Italian 6-Cheese Shredded blend (or two cups of any combination of white cheeses)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon chicken bouillon (gives an added depth)
Dash nutmeg
Fresh ground peppercorn mix (or just black pepper if you want)

Boil pasta according to directions.  While pasta is boiling, melt butter in a pot over medium heat.  Whisk in flour and cook about a minute.  Pour in the cream and whisk out any lumps.  Add in the garlic.  Continue cooking until thickened and bubbly.  Stir in the nutmeg.  Remove from the heat.  Whisk in the cheese and keep whisking until it's all melted.  Pour the cheese sauce over the drained pasta and stir.

2 comments:

  1. You oughta toss in a little pesto and some chicken, maybe some black olives. delish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds incredible! If you try it that way, let me know how it turns out. Thank you for the great idea!

      Delete