Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Fried Ice Cream Brownie Sundae


I have a shocking confession to make to you.  SHOCKING!  I have to get it off my chest so I can feel better about myself.  Are you ready?  Okay, here goes.  I don't eat sweets.  Ever.  Well, maybe once a year I'll eat creme brulee.  But that's it.  I swear.

The craziest part of that is that I work in a bakery/restaurant full of pies, cakes, cookies, bars and cheesecakes.  When I first started working there, for the first two weeks, the lady who makes the bars and cookies, Judy, kept trying to offer me samples of the things she made.  I would always politely respond, "no, thank you."  Finally one day she flat out asked me, "do you not eat sweets?"  The answer was no.  Everyone I work with can't believe it, but I just don't touch the sweets.  It's not that I don't like them, it's just that I don't crave sweets at all.

When I was pregnant with my son, I swear I ate half a tub of Blue Bell ice cream every night.  I guess that's what did it.  Sweets overload.  And my poor kids are deprived of the sweets they crave because I usually don't make them either, especially since I do it at work all day.  The only sweets they get really is what I bring home from work.

So, as I'm getting deeper into this blog and looking at what my followers want and look at on Pinterest, I have decided to make a better effort of bringing you desserts.  And my children are ecstatic about the prospect of actually having a dessert now and then that I made.

So the Fried Ice Cream Brownie Sundae was an idea that my husband and I threw around.  He wanted a dessert with fried ice cream, and the rest just fell into place.  And, yes, that is chocolate-covered bacon on top of that sundae.  Trust me, it's good.  I even ate a little of the finished product.

I know your mouths are watering now, so run to the store and get some ice cream.  Hurry.  It melts fast.

FRIED ICE CREAM BROWNIE SUNDAE
(Makes eight)
FOR THE BROWNIE:
1 C flour
1 C sugar
1/2 C cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 stick butter, melted
3/4 C vegetable oil
1/2 C water

FOR THE ICE CREAM BATTER:
3 C cookie crumbs (I used snickerdoodle)
3 eggs, beaten
2 T cinnamon
Ice cream, any flavor (we used vanilla bean)

FOR THE BACON:
8 slices bacon, cooked and drained
4 squares of chocolate bark

Vegetable oil for frying

TOPPINGS:
Caramel sauce (see my post on White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cheesecake for a homemade caramel)
Hot fudge sauce
Whipped cream
Walnuts

Several hours before wanting dessert, scoop out eight scoops of ice cream. Put them on a sheet pan and freeze at least an hour.

For the bacon, melt the chocolate bark in the microwave until completely melted, a couple of minutes.  Dip the bacon carefully in the bark and dry on a rack.

For the brownies, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Mix all the brownie ingredients together and spread in a greased 9x13 pan.  Bake 20 minutes or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.  Cool.  Cut into squares.

Mix the cookie crumbs and the cinnamon together.  Dredge the ice cream scoops in the cookie crumbs, into the egg wash, and back into the cookie crumbs, making sure no ice cream is showing through.  Put them back in the freezer at least an hour.

When it comes time to fry the ice cream, make sure everything else is ready.  Make sure the caramel and fudge are hot, whip your cream (if you're making homemade).  Put the brownies on plates ready to be topped.  The ice cream melts quickly after coming out of the oil.  Also, get a plate ready with a paper towel to drain the grease off of the ice cream.

Preheat a pot with vegetable oil (halfway up the pot) to about 350 degrees.  Drop in a scoop or two of ice cream and fry, turning frequently, for about 30 seconds.  Drain quickly.  Put the ice cream on the brownie, top with whipped cream and fudge, caramel, and walnuts.  Stick the chocolate-covered bacon in the whipped cream and eat eat eat!!

No comments:

Post a Comment